CSI Summer Camp at Saint Leo University Offers High-Schoolers Hands-On Experience
Looking for clues, analyzing blood spatter, and lifting fingerprints are all part of a summer camp Saint Leo University is offering June 16 – 22 at its main campus, north of Tampa, FL. Rising high-school juniors and seniors have the opportunity to delve into the world of CSI—crime scene investigation and to get a hands-on and behind-the-scenes experience of evidence collection, documentation and preservation as they work a variety of mock crime scenes.
CSI Summer Camp at Saint Leo University Offers High-Schoolers Hands-On Experience, June 16 – 22
Campers will enjoy life in a residence hall and join other campers for meals, swimming, movies, and a variety of other evening activities.
The camp is taught by Saint Leo University faculty with extensive experience in the criminal justice system with a host of criminalistics experts who will lead campers through on-site demonstrations. Campers also will participate in a field trip to a forensic unit to learn about latent prints and blood spatter, tour an evidence locker, and view a vehicle being processed for evidence by forensic experts.
- Charlotte Braziel, criminal justice instructor, who retired from the FBI after serving 26 years and was senior team leader for the Tampa Evidence Response Team and certified FBI instructor of crime scene management, case management, presentation skills and defensive tactics;
- Dr. Joseph Cillo, criminal justice instructor, former defense attorney and an expert on serial killers and mass murderers, as well as the U.S. Supreme Court;
- Dr. Karin May, criminal justice instructor, who has more than 20 years of law enforcement experience and is a captain of the reserve unit of the Dade City (FL) Police Department; and,
- Dr. Bobby Sullivan, criminal justice instructor, who has more than three decades of policing experience including as a detective sergeant and commander of the narcotics, intelligence, street gang, and counter-terrorism units.
Saint Leo University’s CSI Summer Camp provides a realistic look at the hard work and critical thinking needed to locate, preserve, and analyze evidence.
Campers should expect:
- Practical exercises including lifting fingerprints, casting foot and tire impressions, and drawing and photographing evidence;
- Learning about types of bugs relating to crime scene decomposition;
- How to dig up human remains from criminal justice professionals;
- Exercises about interview, interrogation, and legal aspects of CSI, and presenting findings and court testimony.
Space is limited, and students are accepted on a first come, first served basis. Total cost for the camp is $2,000, which includes airport transfers, furnished housing, meals, necessary CSI supplies, field trip, evening activities, and souvenirs. A $500 deposit is due at registration with the balance paid in full on or before Tuesday, April 30. The camp is open to rising high school juniors and seniors ages 15 to 18, with parental consent. Deposits are nonrefundable.
For more information, contact Nikki Heister at [email protected] or call (352) 588-8487.
Register at http://www.totalcamps.com/CSICAMPS.
Topics covered in this camp contain mature content and students will be expected to participate in the following activities: group work and presentations; walking in a field to view a mock crime scene; using cameras to document evidence; measuring distances for plotting evidence; casting footprints, tire treads, and etc.; climbing inside a vehicle; collecting evidence in a variety of environments; and collecting fingerprints and other outdoor activities in Florida weather. If campers need special accommodations, contact the Office of Accessibility
Services at (352) 588-8464 or [email protected].
Saint Leo University is at 33701 State Road 52, St. Leo, FL 33574, in Pasco County, north of Tampa