- This event has passed.
UF/IFAS Pasco Local Food System Conference & Brunch
October 20, 2018 @ 8:00 am - 1:00 pm
The UF/IFAS Pasco Local Food System Conference is designed to offer attendees a glimpse into the production of beef, eggs, blueberries, kumquats, hops, peaches, and salad greens in Pasco and the local region. An introduction to the brewery industry, from local brewmasters/founders, and a discussion on small farm/food production planning will highlight the event. Anyone interested in starting a local food enterprise, or those just curious about the impact of the local food system should attend. A local foods brunch will be provided by Benedetto’s Restaurant, showcasing locally produced products. The keynote address starts the morning at 8:30, followed by concurrent educational sessions and a “taste of Pasco brunch”.
8:30 Keynote Address: Dr. Danielle Treadwell, UF/IFAS, Local Food Systems & Their Impact
9:30 Concurrent Sessions
- Peach Production and U-Pick Operations – Christi Johnson
- Growing Greens – Benny Pumo, Chef/Restaurateur
- BigStorm Brewery: Starting Local Breweries – Mr. Mike Bishop, Founder, BigStorm Brewery
10:20 Taste of Pasco Brunch
- Menu by: Benny Tumo, Benedetto’s Restaurant Owner, with delicious, locally sourced foods
11:10 Concurrent Sessions
- Blueberry Production – Leonard Park, Frogmore Fresh Blueberry Farm General Manager
- Beef Production – Larry Barthle, Barthle Brothers Ranch
- Starting a Farm Business in Florida: Steps & Resources, Dr. Kevin Athearn, UF/IFAS Regional Specialized Agent, Rural & Agribusiness Development
12:00 Concurrent Sessions
- Growing Hops in Florida – Ricky Burts, Jr. of Burts Farms
- Growing Kumquats in Pasco – Greg Gude of Kumquat Growers
- Commercial Egg Production in Pasco County– Emily Lastowski, CalMaine Foods
Locally Sourced Brunch Menu – by Benny Pumo
Farm Fresh Salad
A mixture of tasty greens that includes green oakleaf, red oakleaf, green romaine, red romaine, lollo rossa, red leaf, wasabit arugula, and bibb lettuce. Topped with valentine tomatoes, red cabbage, yellow grape tomatoes, and white onions. All grown on Benedettos’ Farm in Pasco County.
Farm Fresh Kale/Chard/Spinach Frittata
Fresh yellow chard, curly kale, Wintorbor kale, green onion, Callaloo Caribbean spinach sautéed and combined with fresh cheeses and Pasco County Farm Fresh Eggs from Simpson Farms.
Grass Fed-Beef Tips
Grass fed beef tips cast-iron seared and topped with Pasco County grown red, yellow, and chocolate peppers. Served in a Dade City Veal Stock Demi-Glace.
NatureCoaster.com and our sponsors provide this calendar of events as a community service. We do our best to provide accurate information in each listing, but we are simply publishing the information and cannot be responsible for inaccuracies or errors. Please contact event promoters from their event listings for more details about any specific event. We do not cover political events.