Hernando County Extension Service is giving away 600 free trees to celebrate Florida’s Arbor Day.
Nichole Howard, Hernando County Forester, has made her selections for the annual tree giveaway at the master gardener nursery, 19490 Oliver St. in Brooksville, scheduled for 9 AM on January 14, 2017.
An informative presentation about planting and caring for the trees will be given by Nichole and Dr. Lester and the nursery will be open for business that day until noon. Master gardeners will be on hand to answer your gardening questions.
If you are not already familiar with these tree varieties, click on the EDIS/IFAS document links for additional information.
• Celtis laevigata (Sugarberry) – Good for butterfly gardens and distinctive bark on mature trees. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/st138
• Chionanthus virginicus (Fringetree) – Great flowers in the spring. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/st161
• Liriodendron tulipifera (Yellow poplar) – A fast-growing tree, but remember that fast-growing means fragile. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/st363
• Calycanthus floridus (Sweetshrub) – Fragrant flowers. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fp095
• Crataegus marshallii (Parsley hawthorn) – A repeat from last year (good for wet areas) http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fr317
• Ulmus americana (American elm) – Wonderful shade trees that do great in smaller planting areas and handle harsh urban environments better than most other trees. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/st649