Hernando County declares State of Emergency for COVID-19
As a proactive measure to monitor and limit the spread of COVID-19, PROCLAMATION NO. 2020-01, Declaration of State of Local Emergency, has been enacted by the Hernando County Executive Policy Group as of March 19, 2020.
This declaration provides Hernando County Government the authority to take action as needed to ensure the health, safety, and welfare of our community. This includes making emergency purchases, obtain additional resources, renting equipment, hiring workers, utilizing volunteers, etc. The Local State of Emergency will be in effect for seven days, or until rescinded.
Hernando County is closely monitoring COVID-19 (coronavirus) and is taking precautionary measures as recommended by the Florida Department of Health (DOH) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Update on Hernando County Public Services Schedule due to COVID-19 State of Emergency
TheBus Suspends fares March 23-April 22
Hernando County Transit Services (TheBus) announces the suspension of fare collection on all fixed routes and demand response service for 30 days beginning March 23, 2020.
Any future changes to service and service updates will be posted on all buses themselves and at www.HernandoBus.com.
Contact the Hernando County Transit Service Administrative Office at (352) 754-4444 should you have any questions.
Pine Island Park and Rogers Beach Closed
Per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidance to discourage mass gatherings of 50 people or more, Hernando County Parks and Recreation will close the following park and park amenities:
- Alfred McKethan/Pine Island Park, located at 10840 Pine Island Drive in Spring Hill, is currently at capacity and no additional guests will be admitted into the park.
- Alfred McKethan/Pine Island Park will be closed to the public beginning March 17, 2020, until further notice.
- Rogers Park beach area, located at 7244 Shoal Line Boulevard in near Hernando Beach, will be closed to the public until further notice.
- The Rogers Park boat ramp will remain open for the launching of motorized and non-motorized watercraft.
he Hernando County Government office building, located at 621 W. Jefferson Street in Brooksville, which houses the Hernando County Housing Authority, Health and Human Services and Veterans Services offices, will be closed to the public until further notice.
Departments will be conducting all services via email, regular mail, phone, and fax.
Please see department specific operational changes and information below.
- Website – https://www.hernandocounty.us/departments/departments-f-m/housing-authority/-fsiteid-1
- Phone (352) 754-4160
- Fax (352) 754-4168
- Applications for housing programs (Section 8 vouchers renewals, SHIP Down Payment Assistance, NSP rental housing, and the TBRA Homeless Housing program) will still be processed
- Website – https://www.hernandocounty.us/departments/departments-n-z/veteran-services/-fsiteid-1
- Phone (352) 754-4033
- Fax (352) 754-4726
- All scheduled appointments will now be conducted remotely via phone only at the scheduled appointment time
- Anyone needing to turn in paperwork for submission can utilize fax or regular mail
Health and Human Services
- Website – https://www.hernandocounty.us/departments/departments-f-m/health-human-services/-fsiteid-1
- Phone (352) 540-4338
- Fax (352) 540-4339
- All programs and services, except homeless assessments, will still be available. Face to face interviews will not be conducted
- Visit the Health and Human Services website to enter a service or information request
Hernando County Animal Services (HCAS) announces minor operational changes at its shelter, located at 19450 Oliver Street in Brooksville, to comply with CDC guidelines on public gatherings and prevent the spread of disease:
- All in-person issuances of Hernando County Animal Licenses at the HCAS facility have been suspended.
- Residents can obtain a Hernando County Animal Licenses online or via mail through PetData at https://www.petdata.com/for-pet-owners/hrn/license-online.
- HCAS respectfully asks that only those who are actively looking to adopt an animal or reclaim their animal visit the facility.
- When the lobby area is crowded, visitors may be asked to maintain a line outside of the lobby to demonstrate appropriate social distancing.
Hernando County Animal Services is committed to its core mission to rescue, rehome, and reunite animals that come into its care. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work to create a safe environment for the citizens, staff, and animals in Hernando County.
Hernando County Public Libraries
Hernando County libraries play invaluable roles in supporting their communities, both in-person and virtually. The Hernando County Public Library System has made the difficult decision to not open for public access effective Wednesday, March 18, 2020, until further notice.
For your convenience, please use the Library’s eResources at https://hernandocountylibrary.us/.
You may also continue to reserve items by calling your local branch, or online through our website. Items may be picked up, after you are notified, at the branch the hold was requested to be picked up at. Staff will meet you at the front entrance to provide you with your hold(s).
- All programs and meeting room use are canceled starting 03.17.2020 but libraries remain open until further notice
- Fines are suspended until May 1
- Electronic resources will be placed on the front page of the website for easy accessibility
- Wi-Fi access outside library branches will be provided 24/7
Please continue to drop off items through the afterhours/drive up book drops. Returns will not be accepted at the front entrance. Staff will be readily available by phone Monday-Friday from 10:00 am until 6:00 pm and Saturday from 10:00 am until 5:00 pm for any questions you may have. Fines have been suspended through May 1st.
Visit www.HernandoCountyLibrary.us for locations or more information and follow @HernandoLibrary on Facebook for event updates.
Building & Zoning Division
The Hernando County Building and Zoning Division offices, located at 789 Providence Street in Brooksville, will remain open to the public as a drop-off and pick-up area only until further notice. To reduce risk to the public and staff, it is encouraged for Building Division customers to utilize online services available at https://www.hernandocountygis-fl.us/BldgDept/ however, should you need to visit the office:
- Applications and forms will be available in the lobby
- A permit drop-off area will be available in the lobby for submittal of permit applications, revisions, resubmittals, and other documents
- Permit pick-ups can be scheduled over the phone by contacting a Permit Technician at (352) 754-4050
- Inspections can be scheduled online at https://bit.ly/2IW5sB3 or by phone at (352) 754-4050
- Contractors are encouraged to utilize the online system at https://bit.ly/2IW5sB3 to submit applications, documents and receive permits
- All documents can be submitted electronically via email to [email protected] or fax at (352) 754-4416. Customers will be contacted as soon as their documents are entered to ensure they are received
Hernando County Planning and Zoning Commission Meetings
As part of our commitment to the health of our customers and the public, the regular Public Hearing of the Hernando County Planning and Zoning Commission scheduled for Monday, April 13, 2020, has been canceled.
All public hearing items will be fully advertised for a future date once an updated public hearing schedule has been determined.
For further information, please contact the Hernando County Planning Department at 352-754-4057 or monitor the agenda webpage at http://hernandocountyfl.iqm2.com/citizens/
Hernando County Recommended Resources for Coronavirus Information
Hernando County Government’s Office of Emergency Management continues to monitor this rapidly evolving situation. Visit the following web and social media sites for more information:
- Residents should monitor trusted sources of information such as the Florida Department of Health (FDOH) website at www.FloridaHealth.gov/COVID-19 and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website at www.CDC.gov to learn the facts and to follow recommendations to prevent the spread of disease.
- FDOH has set up a call center for general questions regarding COVID-19 at (866) 779-6121, operating 24/7
- Visit www.HernandoCounty.us/COVID19 for information on all Hernando County Government updates regarding COVID-19
- For information on refreshing your emergency supply kits and plans go to www.HernandoCounty.us/em
- Sign up to receive emergency alerts at www.AlertHernando.org
- Follow us on Facebook @HernandoCoGov
- Follow us on Twitter @HernandoCoGov