Land O’Lakes Sinkhole Update
CLEANUP OF SINKHOLE:
- Pending no action by the affected properties’ insurance companies, the Pasco County Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) will vote on contractor bids to 1) remove debris from the sinkhole, 2) decontaminate the water in the sinkhole and 3) stabilize the perimeter of the sinkhole.
- Cleanup process is expected to begin the week of July 31, 2017 and is expected to take several weeks.
ROADWAY INTEGRITY TESTING:
- The contractor (Intertek – PSI) finished testing the structural integrity of Ocean Pines Drive and County easements leading up to the sinkhole on Thursday (07.27.2017).
- The contractor is expected to brief the County on its findings by Friday (07.28.2017).
- Pasco County Government’s Environmental Lab retested the 17 wells that showed signs of Coliform bacteria; three (3) tested positive.
- Property owners were advised to disinfect their wells. (For more background, refer to WATER/WELLS TESTING on pages 3/4.)
USF SINKHOLE STUDY:
- Pasco County has agreed to allow USF’s School of Geosciences to study the sinkhole as part of an educational research project to better understand the science of sinkhole activity.
- Pasco County is NOT expecting any reports or data from this study, but simply recognizes the educational opportunity a sinkhole of this magnitude presents.
HOW YOU CAN HELP:
Several families were affected, some losing everything and others just losing a place to live (yes, that’s a big deal, think about it) for an unknown amount of time. You can help by making a donation through the United Way of Pasco County. 100% of proceeds will go to the families. Also, gift cards are being collected at several Land O’Lakes businesses including Florida Luxury Realty.