Pasco County Fire Rescue, in partnership with the American Red Cross, installed free smoke alarms on Saturday, August 26, 2017 in the Port Richey neighborhood where a two-alarm fire last week seriously injured a man and killed more than a dozen dogs.
Through this joint effort, the volunteers met and installed the smoke alarms from 9:00 a.m. to noon on Saturday, August 26, 2017. Volunteers met at 8705 Velvet Drive in Port Richey and went door-to-door in the immediate neighborhood, installing free smoke detectors for any residents who need them, while supplies last.
“(Last) Sunday’s generator explosion and resulting fire should be a warning to us all,” said Pasco County Fire Rescue Division Chief Shawn Whited. “Every home needs to have working smoke alarms and we’re proud to be partnering with the Red Cross to protect our neighbors in Pasco County.”
Pasco County Fire Rescue responded to 8705 and 8711 Velvet Drive in Port Richey on Sunday, August 20, 2017 to find both homes in flames following a generator explosion. One man suffered burns to over 40-percent of his body. Fire Rescue crews were able to rescue three dogs from the smoke and flames; however, 13 dogs did not survive. Both homes were destroyed and the Red Cross is helping the victims.
Pasco County Fire Rescue and the American Red Cross want to remind everyone of the importance of having at least one working smoke alarm. A working smoke alarm is recommended inside and outside every bedroom and on every level of the home.
Pasco County residents who don’t have a smoke alarm can request a free alarm through The American Red Cross Home Fire Campaign. Just visit www.soundthealarm.org/centralflorida and click on the Request a Smoke Alarm Here link.
For more information about Pasco County Fire Rescue and fire prevention, click on the following link: www.pascocountyfl.net/firerescue.