Volunteer opportunity to help local veterans
If you have a desire to help the veterans of Hernando County consider becoming a volunteer van driver. The Hernando County Veteran Services Department is in need of three drivers to transport disabled veterans to and from James A. Haley VA Hospital located at 13000 Bruce B. Downs Boulevard in Tampa. The van runs Monday through Friday, but not on Federal holidays. Veterans are picked up at two designated locations:
- Wal-Mart located at 7305 Broad Street in Brooskville
- Brooksville VA Outpatient Clinic located at 14540 Cortez Boulevard in Brooksville
Requirements to be a van driver:
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Have a safe driving record
- Maintain current automobile insurance – proof of insurability
- Pass physical health screening in relation to driving vehicles
- Pass TB skin test
- Attend volunteer training orientation
- Desire to help the veterans of Hernando County
Vans are limited to eight passengers, plus driver. Pickups normally begin at 6:30 a.m. at designated locations. The van departs from Tampa no later than 2 p.m. Volunteer drivers will alternate shifts.
Contact the Veteran Services Department at (352) 754-4033 for more information on becoming a volunteer driver.